Goodbye to TNKR's first semi-permanent office.
Yesterday March 2, 2020, the co-founders of TNKR signed an agreement to move the TNKR location from Gwangheungchang to near Sangsu station (subway line 6, exit 4). This is our first move in four years, but not our first move!
TNKR moved into the current office in July 2016, after a few years of moving around. One of the students in TNKR said to us one day, "TNKR itself seems to be a refugee." He had participated in orientation and matching sessions at various venues, including some of the following:
* March-April 2013, TOZ business center for our first Matching session.
* May 2013-August 2015, Mulmangcho Human Rights Institute office to hold orientation and Matching sessions
* Dec 2013-May 2015, Freedom Factory office (orientation, Matching, tutoring, and Casey Lartigue's desk became TNKR's office)
* Sept 2015-February 2016, Bitcoin Center (held orientation, Matching and had 1:1 tutoring sessions there)
* Dec 2015, Gongduck Community Center (Matching session, our other options weren't available)
* Feb-May 2016, Online University (held orientation, Matching, 1:1 tutoring, TNKR's office)
* June 2016, Dangsan Business Center (short-term as we waited for new office to become available)
* July 2016, TNKR office established at Gwangheungchang station
* March 2020, TNKR office moves to Sangsu Station
Before you get out the pom-poms and start cheering, this is not a move we sought. The landlord put the location on the market. We will need to put a 20 million won (almost $20,000) deposit on the office, in addition to our rent going up from 850,000 to 1 million won (almost $1,000) a month. We received an estimate of 900,000 won (almost $800) for a team of 4 movers to haul all of our stuff to the other office location).
We now have a monthly challenge of raising 1 million won a month (almost $1,000). We hope this move will last at least two years.